I have encountered some performance issue with BEA Weblogic 9.2 on a Solaris host, and decided to set up an Apache Tomcat 6 on the same server to do a comparison. Here are the detailed steps I went through.
Download and setup JRE 5.0 or above
I have decided to reuse the JDK installed for Weblogic 9.2 (located at /u01/opt/bea/jdk150_06)
- Download apache-tomcat-6.0.14.tar.gz from http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.14/bin/
- Upload apache-tomcat-6.0.14.tar.gz on the Solaris host, extract it contents into a folder (e.g. /u01/opt/documentum/apache)
Set environment variable JAVA_HOME, JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_HOME in .profile
Startup Tomcat using startup.sh found in $CATALINA_HOME/bin directory
Launch your favorite (or most hated) web browser, and test if you can access the welcome page